The Princes of Persia, Greece and Israel: More on the Demonic and the Political

As I've written about the demonic over the years I've often pointed us to the story of angelic combat in Daniel 10.10-14

In that story the angelic messenger is delayed from coming to Daniel due to interference from "the prince of the kingdom of Persia." The angel gets free from this prince when Michael, "one of the chief princes," comes to his aid.

Again, the point I've often made about this story is how the demonic interference is tied to a political entity, the demon is the "prince of the kingdom of Persia."

But there is a bit more material in Daniel 10 that highlights these connections between angelic spirits and kingdoms.

At the very end of the chapter the angel says to Daniel:
Daniel 10.19-21
He said, “Do not fear, greatly beloved, you are safe. Be strong and courageous!” When he spoke to me, I was strengthened and said, “Let my lord speak, for you have strengthened me.”

Then he said, “Do you know why I have come to you? Now I must return to fight against the prince of Persia, and when I am through with him, the prince of Greece will come. But I am to tell you what is inscribed in the book of truth. There is no one with me who contends against these princes except Michael, your prince."
Notice two things. Beyond the demonic prince of Persia there is also a demonic prince of Greece. Also, note how Michael the archangel is the prince of Israel.

Again, all this highlights the point I've made before and in my book Reviving Old Scratch. The spiritual and the demonic are deeply connected within the political in the biblical imagination. Two sides of the same coin.

This entry was posted by Richard Beck. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply